Friday, January 11, 2013

I GOT FIRED YESTERDAY!

Yes, it finally happened. After years of begging to be fired, the boss gave me the ax.

And I couldn't be happier. Let me rewind for a moment.

During my professional years, when called in to meet with the boss, I would sometimes enter with the statement "You're firing me, right? Please, fire me." It never happened, possibly only because of the fact that I wanted it to happen. My bosses throughout the years wouldn't give me the satisfaction.

Here's a hint to you younger workers: if you want job security, beg your boss to fire you. It worked for me.

Now back to present time. The boss who canned me is me. I was self-employed and enjoyed a fun and profitable home-based business off and on since 1988. I was able to support my wonderful wife, feed several pets and, generally have a fun-filled professional life. 

Without going in to laborious details as to the nature of the business, it involved providing data to major corporations. Someone (like you) takes a survey online and someone (like me) has to process the mass of numbers generated. 

Tedious? You bet.

I compare my past career to a career in asbestos removal. It's something so incredibly undesirable that no one wants to do it, therefore it pays pretty well.

That will be the last time that I write about my life as a number cruncher. It's boring and would put the audience to sleep.

Some thoughts on this blog:

I suppose that anyone who reads this is part of an audience. And audiences need to be entertained. Therefore, I must write entertaining things to keep my audience riveted to the pages.

Did you hear this one: Pope Benedict, Donald Trump and Osama Bin Laden walk into a bar....oh, you've heard it? Crap.

Here's another one: There was a traveling salesman...oh, you've heard that one, too?

So much for entertaining the audience.

Upcoming topics: memories of New Mexico, our travels, scuba diving, how to play guitar for 50 years and still suck at it, how to train a Welsh Corgi (you can't), how to train a Sussex Spaniel (you can't), fine points of shoveling snow, my "barn", my first Social Security check, tourists in the Rockies, pet names that I have for my wife, my love for beer, whooppie pies, The Salem Willows and other topics that you are anxious to read about.

Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment