Thursday, May 14, 2015

SCOOTER

My dog Scooter is a very active communicator. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he is saying. Several times a day he sits in front of me, looks me square in the eyes and makes a sound. The sound in question is hard to describe. If I had to put it into writing it would be:

"M?"

The dog obviously wants something but I've never been able to ascertain what he specifically desires when he says "M?".

Today when he sat in front of me and did the "M?" thing, I was determined to figure it out. I immediately asked him what he wanted and he told me.

"M?"

"Oh, I understand. You want to go outside." So, outside we went, where he proceeded to do a few leg lifts, aiming his liquid projectile toward the wife's rhododendrons. Satisfied that he was satisfied, we came back into the house.

"M?"

"Oh, you want to go for a walk?" So we went for a one mile jaunt and came home.

"M?"

"Oh, you want a treat?" So I gave him a dog biscuit.

"M?"

"WHAT IS IT NOW?"

"M?"

"O.K., I'll feed you."

So, I fed him his afternoon ration of food. After his meal he curled up at my feet and went into a deep sleep, his short legs twitching from time to time, presumably dreaming of running in a meadow among his canine friends.

It was very useful to go through this exercise today as I finally understand my dog's language. When he says "M?" he wants to go outside then go for a walk then have a treat then be fed (in that order).

Or, maybe he's just hungry.


Readers, enjoy your day.




No comments:

Post a Comment