Saturday, May 30, 2015

DARLIN'

Looking back over my 60-odd years (yes, they've been odd), it occurred to me that no one has ever called me "darlin'". Even though I've known some lovely Southern women (who use the word copiously), they never saw fit to call me darlin'.

Honey, sweetie, pumpkin, lovey-dovey....yeah, they're fine, but there's something about the word darlin' that's hard to beat. It conveys both an affection and a passion which are elements that simple terms of endearment lack. "Monkey pie", "angel face" and "bunny hunny" can't hold a candle to darlin'. Beyond that, darlin' is sincere. I cannot imagine anyone in the throes of an argument using the term in a crass way.

Foe example, take the case of Clark Gable playing Rhett Butler. His famous line toward the end of "Gone With The Wind"...

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" would be rendered meaningless if he had said...

"Frankly my darlin', I don't give a damn."

So it was with great surprise and genuine happiness that, while on a routine call to Southwest Airlines, a representative (I think her name was Bobbie Jo...or was it Billy Bob?) said to me "well, darlin' let's pull up your record and see what we have here." The accent was unmistakeable. It was Atlanta, for sure. To be accurate, it was North Atlanta, not north enough to be referred to as "Scumbag Yankees", but close.

My mind started to race. This woman on the phone had unwittingly crossed an item off my bucket list - to be called darlin'.

In thinking about it, the woman from Southwest Airlines probably calls all the dumb schmucks who call her 1-800 number darlin'. The guy before me may have just robbed a bank. The guy after me could have been worse, maybe even a snowboarder.

Still though, being called darlin' is something special. After my phone call, my mind began to wander. I wondered what kind of life the Southwest Airlines lady had. I surmised that she was in her late 40's, rather plain, grown kids, church choir, makes a mean plate of fried chicken, reads a lot, and not much for sports except for the Atlanta Braves.

She's been married to a guy named "Mike" forever and is still crazy about him. She might say to Mike:

"Anything else you want, darlin'?"
"Another piece of fried chicken, darlin'?"
"Another cup of coffee, darlin'?"
"Want to see a movie this weekend, darlin'?"
"How are you feeling, darlin'?"

Whoever this woman is in real life, Southwest Airlines should be glad to have her.

She's a real darlin'.


Readers, enjoy your day.



No comments:

Post a Comment