Tuesday, December 8, 2015

UNPLUGGED

For so many years i have been a person who has led the charge for newer, faster and better technology. Of late, however, I have come to realize that my mind is overloaded with what the Internet (my constant companion for so many years) has bombarded.

Pop ups
Updates
Offers
Apps
Cyber wars
Games
Breaking news
YouTube
Facebook...

...yes, and Blogs.

I have come to long for the times when I relied upon my own senses to give me the information that I immediately needed. In short, my handheld has become an umbilical cord, pumping informational life into me. Upon waking up, check CNN, Facebook, Strat-Talk, The Weather Channel among others. Answer the gong of the phone every time it announces some new tidbit of information. Read a joke that someone emails to me. Roll my eyes when someone emails me political-related propaganda. Read with skepticism new claims of products which will make "a healthier you". Doctors who have long preached avoidance of [FILL IN THE BLANKS] who are now saying "hey, maybe this isn't bad for you after all." How to throw the perfect party. The latest from Kim Kardashian. "Stay tuned, you won't believe what Donald Trump said today." "Watch me whip, watch me nay, nay."

Etc., etc.

In accessing the Internet and its many offerings, we all have the power to turn it on or off as we see fit. In many ways, however, it becomes an addiction - constant new stimulation (literally) in the palm of one's hand.

I've come to the point where I must exercise the option of hitting the "off" button and taking a step back in my life. I look forward to spending more time reading, walking, riding my bike, enjoying a cold beer, beach combing, playing guitar, connecting (personally) with others and looking up at the sky on bright, sunny days.

To those of you who have kept up with West of Denver, please be sure that I will write from time to time, but at uncertain intervals. My subject matter will likely center around "real life"; perhaps not as exciting as what one may access on YouTube but, nonetheless human and genuine.

Going forward, you will rarely see me commenting on Facebook...indeed, I may delete my FB account in which case I will instantly disappear from social media. (To be determined.)

In closing (for now) I wish you all the very best in your lives and loves. Please revisit West of Denver at some time in the future. It will be taking a new, positive direction with new commentary and perhaps a laugh or two.

As always, you can contact me via email at markjohnmichaud@gmail.com

[SOUND EFFECTS: SMART PHONE TURNED OFF, PLUG BEING PULLED]


Readers, enjoy your day.





No comments:

Post a Comment