Sunday, June 8, 2014

FATHER'S DAY

When one goes to a do-it-yourself outlet, be it a neighborhood hardware store or big-box store, it's hard to miss the enticements for products that we should buy for dear old dad. In my trip to the big box outlet yesterday there were tags on various products that read "don't forget dad". In thinking about what my late father might have liked, the two-horsepower variable speed cordless drill with the rechargeable lithium battery caught my eye.

A few hours later I was at the health club and there were numerous ads and flyers detailing a father's day pedicure special for $45. I thought that that was a heck of an idea. Lets face it, on Mother's Day, any fool knows that it's not a good idea to buy mom pots and pans or anything else that smacks of "work". In that sense it seems strange that dads are fair game for products that keep dad's nose to the grindstone. The normally featured products seem to be tools and barbecue grills. What kind of statement are we making to our fathers if we buy such items as tools or barbecue grills? To me it says "yeah, dad you're terrific...now get up off your ass, fix the back door and then grill us some burgers".

If Pa were still alive, I would jump at the chance to do something for him that would say "dad, you are really special. Have a relaxing day and enjoy your pedicure."
I can picture him beaming with pride, knowing that his son really cared for him. He would take me to the side, away from the rest of the family, and thank me for the wonderful pedicure - something that he has never had before. Then he would tell me "the pedicure is a wonderful gift, but I really had my heart set on the two-horsepower variable speed cordless drill with the rechargeable lithium battery."

Thinking quickly I would then reply "I didn't get you the two-horsepower variable speed cordless drill with the rechargeable lithium battery because I heard that next year they will be introducing a three-horsepower model", to which he would reply:

"That's my boy."

Happy Father's Day, Pa. I miss you.


Readers, enjoy your Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment