Wednesday, March 25, 2020

STUMP

Some years ago I became a Sussex Spaniel enthusiast. My interest didn’t stem from any real knowledge about the breed nor did I have any desire to enter a dog in dog shows. Instead, I thought that the dogs of Sussex Spaniel lineage were just funny, goofy-looking dogs that must be fun to own. I could picture a Sussex lying comfortably in front of a roaring fireplace on a cold winter day enjoying a lengthy afternoon nap. Thus, it was with this pedestrian interest that I wanted to acquire a Sussex Spaniel for my 55th birthday in 2004. Luckily, there was a breeder close to where we lived in Albuquerque whom we contacted and ultimately bought our Sussex. True to form, our spaniel didn’t disappoint us. She was a funny, goofy-looking dog who provided us with many hours of affection, laughter and enjoyment for the 10 years of her life.

During the time that we owned our Sussex, I became close friends with her breeder and would drive north of Albuquerque to visit her and help her with various home projects. During these times she would educate me on the ins and outs of dog championships. It was during one of her dog shows that I had the pleasure of meeting “Stump”. His given pedigree name was “Clussexx Three D Grinchy Glee” which is a bit of a mouthful, thus his more common name of “Stump”. He was a legend not only in the breed of Sussex Spaniels but also among ALL breeds, having amassed an unheard of number of dog show wins. This includes a best in show win at the prestigious Westminster Kennel Club show.

While helping out my breeder friend at a dog show in Bernalillo, New Mexico, she pointed to a dog across the judge’s ring and told me “That’s Stump.” At that point I took the liberty of meandering over to that side of the ring and introducing myself to Stump’s handler. I asked if I may pet the dog and his handler gave me the ok. I then sat down next to Stump and gave him a quick ear scratch. He proceeded to wiggle his body around, thus ensuring that numerous parts of his body that needed scratching were, indeed, scratched. It was at this point that Stump laid his head down and promptly went into a shallow doggie nap. This nap was interrupted after a short time by Stump’s handler who told me that Stump had to see the groomer prior to his participation in the show.

That was the first, last and only time I was ever to spend time with this wonderful dog. Overall, I was left with the feeling that Stump, given the choice between being a show dog - flying around the country to various events and shows, etc. or just being a house dog, he’d probably choose the latter. As he put his head on my lap and went to sleep, I can only imagine that he was dreaming of just being a regular pet dog, lying comfortably in front of a roaring fireplace on a cold winter day enjoying a lengthy afternoon nap.

Readers, enjoy your day.

2 comments:

  1. One of the benefits of the Sussex Spaniel is their short leg length. Owners can feel a sigh of relief to have food and drink out without their dog committing a 5-yard penalty for encroachment or being "offside."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. They are wonderful dogs for numerous reasons, short legs being one of them. Our Sussex “Belle” had particularly short legs which made her quite entertaining to live with. If you are so inclined, go back a few years in my blog and read about Belle. I still miss her to this day. Kind regards, Mark

      Delete