Monday, April 9, 2018

STEPPING BACK

While in Denver last August I had a wonderful lunch with two good friends with whom I had worked for many years. We talked and bitched about everything. One subject that came up was that of personal technology - cell phones, Smartphones and so on. I confessed that I had tired of my Smartphone which beeped me incessantly with reminders, texts and alerts. In short, I felt as if I had become technology's slave, dancing to the tune of a tech device which I had come to loathe. In effect, my Smartphone had become my own personal albatross hanging around my neck. Almost on cue, my two friends pulled their phones out of their pockets and revealed two relics of the past - flip phones. They proceeded to tell me how, when they want to contact someone, they call and talk to them. And when they want information of any kind, they ask someone or "look it up". I was very taken by their well-reasoned albeit backward look at technology.

Thus, upon returning home, I made a beeline to the cell phone store to check out what they had to offer in simple flip phones. Truthfully, it wasn't much; the salesman declaring "nobody uses these any more". Despite his consternation, I selected the one remaining flip phone that they had and proudly proclaimed myself free of the annoyances of Smartphones.

I became quite a celebrity around town. People marveled at the last human on earth with a flip phone. I was happy to entertain them while proclaiming my technological freedom:

"Free at last, free at last..."

That changed last week.

I was in a rush to get to Seattle and needed directions quickly. Problem: no smart phone. I needed to check the ferry schedule. Problem: no smart phone. I needed to check traffic. Problem: no smart phone. Needed to get a Uber cab. Problem: no smart phone.

Much as I had done last August, when I returned from Seattle I made another beeline to the cell phone store and, with tail tucked firmly between my legs, I again embraced the technological albatross that I had discarded only 6 months ago.

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's that it's very difficult to turn back the clock and darn near impossible to halt progress.

"Ring, ring. Beep, beep. Chirp, chirp"

You'll have to excuse me. The albatross requires my undivided attention.


Readers, enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment