Wednesday, February 18, 2015

LESLEY

I read that Lesley Gore passed away on Monday.

For those who may not be familiar with her, she recorded such melodies as "It's my party", "Judy's turn to cry", "You don't own me" and a smattering of others. As sappy as these songs seem in this present day and age, they were extremely popular and meaningful in the '60's. And, to her credit, Ms. Gore blazed a trail for many female pop music singers whose success can be traced back to this dynamic young woman. The world has lost a true music pioneer.

That said, I must relate to you the following:

True confessions, she was my first teenage crush. I became obsessed with her. If I could have afforded bus fare, I would have camped out on her front lawn to get a chance to meet her. Someday, I knew that we were destined to meet.

My big chance came in 1964 (as I recall) when I entered a mail-in drawing to win a chance to meet Lesley Gore. Entry was by postcard only and I used up all my father's postage stamps to send them in. In all, I think I mailed in about 20 entries. Man, was my father upset at me. After all, postage was four-cents a card back then. I think that he put me on a ration of bread an water for a year for my wasteful spending ways.

But I'd show him a thing or two when my name was drawn for my big meeting with Lesley Gore. I just knew that I was going to win.

But I didn't.

I remember that I was completely torn apart by this apparent rejection by the girl who I was dying to meet. This was no silly infatuation; this was the real deal.

When I saw Lesley's picture on the news with the winner of the contest, I was beyond consolation. It was a misery that I had not known before or since. My misery turned to tears; the tears of a vulnerable teenager desperately in love for the first time. The crying lasted for days, weeks.

For those of you who are unable to identify with the degree of crying I did over Lesley Gore, all I can say is:

You would cry too if it happened to you.

Rest in peace, Lesley.


Readers, enjoy your day.


1 comment:

  1. But, Mark, your life did turn into "Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows".

    ReplyDelete