Saturday, January 24, 2015

A NEW LANGUAGE

About the only saving grace of this weekend (one which there is no football) is the Winter X Games from Aspen. For those of you who have not seen this spectacle, it involves youthful daredevils performing stunts on skis, snowmobiles and snowboards while doing their best to promote the consumption of caffeine and sugar-laced beverages.

Awesome, dudes.

The last two days have featured stunts on the "half pipe" (imagine an inverted irrigation culvert filled with snow).

I won't dwell on the performances (which, by the way, were quite spectacular). Rather, I found the language and descriptors used by the announcers to be unique and colorful. Note: Calling them "educational" may be a bit of a stretch.

"Here he comes. He's entering the pipe. Wow! He just landed a 1440 double-cork three twist, roast beef, chicken salad, between the knees, deflate the football, New Jersey do-si-do. This is insane!"

"Now he's picking up speed. I'm losing my mind - a 1620? You've got to be kidding me. This is insane!"

"Last one. He's taking it to the house. Stand by folks...my Axe deodorant is failing. This is so awesome I'm going to stomp on my headphones. This is insane!"

From the half pipe we move on to the next event: snowmobiles. Now, I can understand racing these 450-pound behemoths but launching them off of a ski jump and doing flips in the air? Naw. Admittedly, the snowmobile event doesn't have nearly the depth of tricks of the half-pipe extravaganza. Let's face it - there aren't a whole lot of things you can do while strapped to a Ski-Doo. However, it does share a common feature with the half pipe:

This is insane.


Readers, enjoy your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment